Monday, January 9

Friends and stuff

Seeing as this is my sec 4 year and I am taking the O'levels I probably shouldn't be blogging. In fact if my parents and/or principal had their way, I would be studying right this minute locked up in some dungeon with nothing but A Math and Physics for company (ok very exaggerated). But being the procrastinator that I am I ended up looking through all the digital rubbish that had accumulated in my computer's folders as an excuse to put off doing my english homework. Anyway, I came across some pretty interesting things. For instance, I have a folder of all the weird/nonsensical/genuinely good attempts at writing that my friends (at least the ones who're good at lit) have sent me. While reading them I realized that actually some of these are actually pretty damn good. Take for instance this poem written by Sarah, who I am proud to call one of my closest friends:

My trench

I dug my trench 6 feet deep
and lay down inside it.
above in the world, wars raged
but i could never get hit.

As strong fingers played
empty songs of silence
and music of old
turned red to violence...

i lay down inside my trench
watching the world around me.
i was hiding.. hiding in the shadows
and hoping that no one would see.

As mutual relationships
turned into love and hate
and the existance of love
became a controversial debate.

there i was in the trench
ignoring their ignorance
silently, sending to them
sympathy, my condolences.

moral values, down the drain
people trying to outdo the rest
and gossip flying all about
about ones whom they detest.

oh let me stay in this trench
I fear of facing the world
i fear everything it is
i fear everything it hurls.

i fear music-lacking of peace
i fear love-lacking sincerity
i fear values-full of hypocrism

i fear. i fear.. i'm so full of fear.
and because of that, i'm staying here.


I think I posted this before, but I think that it deserves more attention now. Its alot more meaningful I think than alot of the poems I've read elsewhere especially since it seems to apply to Singaporeans so directly (In my opinion at least).

Anyway, this led me thinking on another track, about my friends and stuff. I realise that actually, my friends are pretty awesome people. I earnestly believe that, if I ever find myself in deep shit, I'll have friends who'll help me, support me and well be there for me. I don't think I have any of those bad friends that parents are so scared of and I think that I'm really blessed to have so many awesome people for friends.

Just to prove the point, I'll use afew examples. Lets start with my school friends, despite the fact that I continually make nasty jokes about nearly all of them with snide and wise ass remarks, they still call me their friend (at least i think :P). They're also more than willing to help me out when I'm having trouble with work and stuff, especially during debate season and stuff. One person in particular is Abbas, despite me constantly pushing debate's admin stuff to him, he dosen't really complain and always gets the job done. Although he seems damn lazy and really irresponsible, he's one of the most reliable people I know. Theres also Clarence and Dylon who are great conversationalists and who are I think pretty damn brilliant (even though Clarence usually just argues with you and soon degenerates into a quarrelsome brawler, not to mention his sometimes controversial opinions)Also, I think my class is really awesome. Sure, some of them may be anti-social and some may have verly coloured and sometimes myopic perceptions of the world, they're all really nice people and are really great to hang out with. People like Clarence, Yunxing, Jie Lin, Tse Mian and countless others make school worth going to.

My friends in church are nearly all pretty damn good musicians, although that isn't why i think they're awesome. Maybe half a year ago I was feeling really depressed about all sorts of stupid things that I don't really want to go into, but I think the reason why I got cheered up was because of my youth group in church. (Kudos to Luke for being one of the funniest people I know, and kudos to Youwei for always understanding my satirical comments about stuff, not to mention for being the best pianist I know) Also, I think our youth pastor, Pastor Eve is one of the most sporting and fun-loving adults I know (bar my Dad) and that she's a really awesome youth pastor.

Ok i've gotten really long-winded and I hope all of my friends who actually read this will appreciate it.

You guys are awesome!

1 Comments:

At 11:30 am, Blogger happiwife said...

You are awesome too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home