Sunday, August 27

The Last Day Dawns

The path to my house is dark. It rolls out from the road into the small inner street that my home sits on. Its late, but the lights in my house are still on. A faint smell of rotting garbage drifts from the nearby alleyway. The path is short, so I take my time. I walk down it slowly for what may well be the last time. Sebastian and Angeline walk with me. Seb didn't want to go home yet; said he couldn't bear to. I guess I would too if i were him. He walks us to the gate. I fumble it open and step inside, behind me Sebastian looks on forlornly. He waves and steps backwards, Angeline and I do the same. Slowly, he waves again and steps backward again, reluctant to leave. Bewildered I wave back, smiling. He smiles and then turns slowly, saying goodbye one last time before walking away on the path to the bus stop.

I open my front door and shout hello. My mother replies and carries on with the business of making sure our house doesn't fall apart. I walk up the stairs, and dump my stuff on the bed in my room. Some hectic, last minute packing is done. Everything is accounted for, everything is where it should be, yet I am uneasy. I try to write some lousy post for my blog and clear some emails. I don't get anything done though. Later I take a shower in the common bathroom, another thing I will do for the last time. Then I settle down to attempt to finish watching Samurai 7. I fail, stopping with 5 episodes left to go at 1.30 in the morning. I try to catch some sleep, sleep gets sloppy and gets caught and I rest for an hour or two.

In an instant, I am awakened by Dad's gentle hand. I rise slowly from my bed and walk to the toilet. I drench my head under the cold water of its tap for the last time and brush my teeth. Its 4.50 and my Dad wants to be gone in 10 minutes. I carry my bags down, grab a glass of juice and hop into the car. We drive off without looking back.

We get to the airport quickly, the streets were empty and my Dad drove fast. My Dad and I clear the check in que quickly as well. We stand in Changi's 1st terminal, surrounded by friends and family. They pray for us, exchange hugs with us and wish us well, smiling sadly. Dad and I walk past the Bon Voyage sign toward our Gate. Our loved ones wave at us again and we wave back. I smile sadly, catching a final glimpse of them, before turning to follow my Dad.

As we sit on the plane, I glance out the window. There dawning on the horizon is a new day. The last dawn I will see in Singapore for a long while to come. I feel numb, cold, maybe even a little depressed. As the plane takes off, the last day dawns, so calling an end to this chapter of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home