Friday, November 3

Fate is a funny thing

It was an everyday occurrence, a trifle. My mother was meeting someone in the office sections of the building opposite Plaza Singapura. I was much smaller then, and had to tag along since there was no one at home to take care of me (or at least I think that was the reason, its been awhile now). We rush into the mall, my Mom asks for directions and gets them. We get into the elevator, a daughter and mother follow us in and the door closes. There we are, mother and child on either side of the elevator, not a word spoken between us. I looks at the girl, she looks back. We're probably around the same age, both of us tagging along on our mother's errands. Somewhat unconsciously, we smile at each other. It is a strange thing, the connection one can feel with an absolute stranger.

The lift stops and the door opens, mother and daughter exit. She leaves my life, never to enter it again. Yet, I find myself wondering. Might we have been friends? Would we have been more than just passersby in each other's life? Who's to know? Its another what-if of life, an insoluble problem, and all I can do, is wonder......

2 Comments:

At 8:03 am, Blogger anon. said...

I'll have you know trifles aren't a trifling matter! They're not even very common here anymore... : (

 
At 7:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I CAN IDENTIFY WITH YOU. I HAVE HAD A FEW OF THESE EXPERIENCES!! ALWAYS WITH STRANGER FEMALES. AROUND MY AGE TOO! HAHAHA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home