Wednesday, November 29

Random Thoughts

Methinks a great many things
methinks a great lot
about small coiled springs
and great black spots

Melikes to think of poetry
and prose so fair
of gallant chivalry
and dazzling dares

Mewonders about the sky
and the golden sun
it hangs there so high
does it have any fun?

Methinks a great many things
with little reason but much rhyme
these words were a pleasant swing
a way to pass the time


mhmmm, that took like, five minutes.


-NEWSFLASH-
In other news, Jeremy was annoyed that folks like Jacq and Issac apparently took down their blogs. He liked acting smart on said websites and said he missed the oppurtunity to do so. He also asserted that they should have much more free time than he does and thus have no justification for shutting down their blogs.
-We now bring you back to your program, sorry for the interruption-



The great white moon was full that night. The people were dreaming, the cars all stood parked. Even the wind rustled not the leaves of the abundant trees, as if afraid to disturb the tranquility. All was still, and quiet, the creeping silence of the night. I lay stiffly in the bed. I closed my eyes, immersing myself in the great black ocean of my thoughts... silence. Slowly, like a lone white sailboat in a dark moonlit bay, an idle thought swam gently across the surface of my mind. It made gentle ripples, stirring up other dormant thoughts, a silent explosion of image and memory.

I recall a moment in the past, one so long ago that it seems yellowed even. I am younger then, so much younger, and smaller, and much more ignorant and immature. We are running, my friends and I, engaged in that joyous activity that almost every child the world over knows. We are playing tag. Its a serious business, with grim and high stakes. Its a zero sum game, with no middle ground, no quarter is given or taken, a fierce bloodsport. Its glorious victor, with all the jeering rights that entails, or devastated loser, at whom verbal tomatoes fly.

Faces come to mind, names blurred and fuzzy. We are running in the corridor of the school, warnings of the old and kindly cleaner heard but unregarded. At my side, is my comrade, we run in unison, away from the assigned catcher. Yet in our haste turning the corner, he trips and falls. The catcher grasps the oppurtunity with both hands and lunges forward, shoving my friend down as he attempts to recover. He is crushed against the floor, completely caught, defeated. The catcher-turned-runner picks himself up and escapes. Caught between helping and fleeing I hesitate, and then help my friend up, I recall his name, his words, saying softly,"thanks, you're the best friend I've ever had......"

For a moment, the game was forgotten, and we stood not as catcher or runner, but as two kindred beings expressing a moment of friendship and gratitude, a moment that went as quickly as it came.

Then we were off, running for our lives and for the glory of being the uncatchable...

I don't know where that boy is now, or whether he even remembers this. I don't even know whether I remember this, for we might not have been playing tag or running. But I remember helping him up, and remember his words, his thanks. At the time, those words were probably the nicest things that anyone had ever said to me, ever, and I was eternally grateful for them.

"An act of kindness is more than a point on a scoreboard, a word of kindness is more than a simple courtesy, don't treat them like they are."

With that last ligering thought, I laid back into my pillow, and drifted of into the realm of sleep......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home