Thursday, November 23

What I wanna be when I grow up.

Everybody's heard this question before, "What do you wanna be when you grow up?". For a select lucky few of us, the answer is crystal clear. For the vast majority however, we have, at best, a vague idea, if not a complete blank. Its a big question, though the above version might not make it seem so. It ties in with all kinds of other big questions like, "Where should I go after A'levels?", "What do I really enjoy doing", "What do I wanna do with my life?" and "How much time do I wanna spend sleeping every day?". These are all important questions, and as is the usual case with these, the answers to them are, shall we say, tricky. More often than not, we put them off, procrastinating as much as we can until reality and circumstance force these ugly queries upon us.

After much deliberation however, I have, ahead of time, tried to fanthom out an answer to the first question. I have however, too many answers. So heres the list (in no particular order) of "What I wanna be when I grow up":

Business
-Equity (Unlikely): (Investment, financing and stuff I guess) not really sure what it involves. However I figure its basically firms which invest in businesses and earn money when the business they invested in make money. (shrugs) its just a field of business I can see myself in. You can tell I'm not really sure what the job really entails. Moreover, I'm not particularly keen on business in the first place.

-Consultation Firm for Risk Analysis (Unlikely): I'd tell companies whether or not its a good idea to get into certain countries to do business. I think this'd be an okay job, but I'm inserting this one on the spur of the moment. It probably would be a dull job. (shrugs) Who knows?


Creative Arts
-Musician for a Christian band (Dream Job): genre would deped on who I form it with but thats the idea, however unlikely it may be. I'd do either rhythm guitar/vocals or drums. (Mainly inspired by Beck)

-Film Director/ screenplay or script writer (Dream Job): I always thought stuff like that was cool. I have afew ideas swimming in my head for various plays and/or screenplays. I always inadvertedly start picturing scenes in an imaginary movie in my head when I hear certain pieces of music. I think it'd be an awesome job.

-Author of Fiction/Poetry (Possibility): This'd probably tie in with jobs in Academia. I'd probably be a prof of english or political science somewhere and write fiction (or academic papers, depending) in my free time. Hopefully, I'd become some super big shot writer and quit my teaching job to write full time. Meh, see how lah. Anyhow I have ideas for books too, which overlap the ideas for films and plays, I think though that I have to get better at writing first before I can carry out either.

-Film/Book critic (Unlikely): This would probably mean I have to major in Theater Arts or literature or something like that. I'm not sure I'm up for that, however, I'm up for the job I guess, though I probably wouldn't like it very much. I'd end up like Krishna I guess, doing a job only because it pays me. Bleagh.


Academia
-Professor of Political Science specializing in the area of South East Asia (Possibility): I talked this one through with a prof of mine (he actually encouraged me to go into the business of accounting and auditing, sounds too boring to me however). We figured this was the area of political science that was the most likely to get me a job in the states.

-English Professor (Possibility): I'd probably teach writing skills classes for college freshmen and stuff like that, it'd probably tie in with the writing job above.

-Professor of Psychology specializing in the Psychology of linguistics (Unlikely): I dunno, this is just a field I'm really interested in. The psychology behind words and stuff, how langauge affects thought and how people in different cultures and countries react differently to different words. I guess it has some sociological connotations too. (I've also probably used the terms wrongly, but hey this is a blog, no one really cares)

-Professor of Philosophy specializing in the philosophy of Japanese Anime (Unlikely): Again, a field I think would be awesome. I also think the subject is deserving of study, and have thought alot alot alot about it. Seems like fun I think, but probably won't happen.


Other
-A job in the Gahmen of Singapore (Unlikely): If my brother who has a degree in Psychology can get a job in the MFA, I'm sure a 20/22 year old graduate in Political Science/Econs can get one somewhere. Then again, I don't really know that, probably I'd have to go do graduate studies in some super big name university first. Oh well.

-Teacher/education critic (Unlikely): Another field/issue i'm deeply interested in/feel very strongly about.

-Volunteer Work (Unlikely): I could join the peace corp or the red cross or something, or go join a team of missionaries and spend my life doing that. Eventually, maybe I'd become a big shot director in some aid organization, wouldn't that be cool. Then again, I'm probably not cut out for that kinda stuff. (shrugs) who knows?


Most of these jobs involve me making pretty crazy decisions from here on, some of which will be rather irreversible. Again this is a tentative list, and there is a distinct possiblity that I will end up doing none of these things. Many of them involve me remaining in the states and possibly never returning to Singapore (that would be really sad). Anyhow, here are my interests, make of them what you will.

For those of you who have asked, guess what: My sister's PSLE score beat me, walao, she broke a Tan family trend. Here are her Grades:
English: A* (Suprising for me, I expected her A* to be in Chinese)
Math: A
Science A
Chinese: A
Higher Chinese: Merit (Walao how can, my Sister is definitely better than that at Chinese!)
Aggregate: 243 (4 points higher than me!)
Not that it really matters anyway, I can use Singapore's flawed education system as an excuse!

Thats all for now folks, Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home