Monday, January 15

Lego


My love affair with lego started a long time ago, among the fragments of my earliest memories. My family lived in a rather cosy house in one of the enclosed neighborhoods of upper Bukit Timah. Of the little I recall of what my life was like before going to Primary School, most of it is inextricably linked to that house. I remember the long lazy days of nothing but toy cars and action figures and TV watching. And I remember the cooking sets and the hawker stall me and my sister would set up, trying to get our parents to taste our non-existent cooking. And then there was the lego... I remember sneaking into the room of my Brothers while they were both at school and timidly touching and fumbling the lego sets they left lying around. A dangerous business, for the consequences of discovery were a harsh verbal lashing and a fierce glares. Scary business indeed for a 5 year old. But the allure of the lego was great, and I returned again and again, to the dismay of my older siblings (or at least one of them).

Eventually, I convinced my parents to let me have a lego set of my own. I remember it, a large (by lego standards) fire station, with a tall tower and helicopter as well as a fire truck (well fire van really, it was no where near the right size for a truck) and a few appropriately dressed firefighters. I was overjoyed, jubilant, it was awesome, at least, for awhile.

I don't really know why I decided to write about all this in the first place, but lets just go on and see where this leads me.



If this isn't already apparent to you, I think Lego is awesome. Its a magnificent concept, a toy block that, when put together with other similar toy blocks, has infinite possibility. With these blocks, you could make anything, anything a young boy's imagination could conjure, or at least, a good many of them. A towering castle with spires and battlements perhaps?

Or maybe an impenetrable JSDF Battle Tank with rotating turret and pilot?

Or maybe even a life size Darth Vader!


Whatever, you get the idea.

The point is that lego allows youngsters the freedom to express their imagination. To exercise (if you'll allow me the cliche) their creative muscles and gain imaginative muscle mass! I think its fair to say that that's fairly desirable.

After all, isn't innovation the driving force behind humanities' success. Is it not our ingenuity (or stupidity, depending on your point of view) that has allowed us to dominate this Earth and wreak havoc upon its environment (not that that's a good thing).

It seems like I've just created a serious flaw in my own argument... oh well.

For the sake of continuing the post, lets assume more creativity = more good.

Now back to the point: LEGO IS AWESOME! So we have point 1, lego promotes creativity. Point 2 is that I am really really clever, so you should just take my word for it and believe that LEGO IS AWESOME. Therefore I win!

So as to ensure that my argument is complete with all three forms of appeal (logical, ethical and pathetic), look at this Lego man's face!


It's just so pathetic you have to pity it!

So go out and get a lego set NOW!

Because they're awesome!





Ok obligatory blogging is done now, later folks.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home